Monday, April 7, 2008

José-Luis Orozco's Music Passes on la Cultura

I hope to highlight several of my favorite authors of bilingual children's books over the next couple of weeks. Some of them I carry in my store, and others I do not...yet! There are so many that I love, but still too few in publication. And as I have written about before here and here, I feel that one of the best and easiest ways of preserving our culture is through music.

Deserving special recognition in this category, is José-Luis Orozco, of whom I am sure all of you have already heard - and, perhaps, you may even have a few of his books or CDs? I think his most popular book may be De Colores and Other Latin American Folk Songs for Children. I actually sell this one and a few others by Señor Orozco in my boutique (hey, they're on sale, People - get over there!) All of his books are beautifully and richly illustrated, but the heart of each work centers around the lively finger rhymes and folksongs that Mr. Orozco has collected from all over Latin America and Spain.

Born in Mexico city, his wonder and love of music was developed at an early age, thanks to his abuelita. At only 8 years old, he joined the Mexico City Boy's Choir and traveled throughout Central and South America and across the sea to the Caribbean and Europe. His Master's degree is in Multicultural Education and his books are used by thousands of teachers across America. I can't even begin to list all of the awards that Sr. Orozco has received, but I can assure you they are all well deserved.
His works are a gift to children, who will be engaged by the rhythm of the words and music. And your niños will greatly benefit from the interaction with you. Each book comes with lyrics in both English and Spanish, as well as simple arrangements for piano and guitar.


If you'd like to visit José-Luis Orozco's official web site, click here. And don't forget to check out his show schedule to see if he will be performing anywhere near you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...