Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Latino Designers Find Fame in First Lady

What a day! I don't know how many of you were able to watch this mornings inaugural events, but my little familia and I were glued to the tube. Well, okay, I was glued, the kids were a little too young to realize the significance of the whole thing. And regardless of what party you are with or who you voted for, don't you think it is wonderful tht we are able to live in a country where the people's voice can completely change the direction of their nation's government? It really overwhelms me to see all those people standing out there in the frigid cold, cheering at the top of their longs, waving their little flags. This little sea of humanity - the emotion is almost too much for me to fathom.

And can I just say how touched I was when the Obamas arrived at the White House? I think George and Laura, but especially George, were so very warm, welcoming - real Southern hospitality, I guess? I don't know, maybe he was just like "Hallelujah! Get me outta here!" but I thought they were so gracious. And how classy was it of Michelle to bring a gift?

And on a side note, I was really proud to see that Michelle chose to wear a design by Cuban-American designer Isabel Toledo! Hooray! In fact, when looking at the list of designers that Michelle has chosen before - including Narciso Rodriguez, Zero and Maria Cornejo and Chicago designer Maria Pinto - this could be an unexpected bonus for Latino designers! She did look very sophisticated, yet classically simple today, didn't she?

So in parting....Bien hecho, America! Land of opportunity, determination, freedom and dreams....

~Monica

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...