Thursday, July 10, 2008

Agua Fresca to the Rescue

For some reason my pants seem to be fitting a little too tight lately. I'm confused since I just got back from a camping vacation and you'd think all that hiking and "roughing it" would have had the opposite effect. Perhaps I have been indulging in a little too much chocolate (Reese's peanut butter cups, to be exact.) So yesterday, I decided the time had come to cut back on the sweets. I finished off the small(ish) bag of mini Reese's that was in my fridge and vowed not to buy any more - at least until I shrink or my pants stretch.
Keeping this in mind, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Hibiscus Tea (or Jamaica Agua Fresca) is a natural weight-loss aid. Served cold or hot (I prefer it cold,) this agua fresca is loaded with Vitamin C and contains a number of enzyme inhibitors that prevent the absorption of sugars. AND it has anti-bloating properties, helping the body to shed excess fluid. It has been a long time since I've had a cold glass of hibiscus tea (I believe I was in Mexico at the time,) but my mouth is already watering at the thought and tomorrow I go in search of una tienda mexicana so that I can load up on these flowers.

To make Jamaica Agua Fresca, soak a handful of dried hibiscus flowers in a small pot of just boiled water. Let soak for a half hour or so and then strain the tea into a pitcher and add cold water and ice for a refreshing, soothing and tasty drink on a hot summer day. Throw in a few berries for decoration y voila! To be enjoyed anywhere and by anyone.
For a more complicated and equally yummy recipe, click here.

WARNING: Allowing small children to drink this may result in empty pitcher.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...